Wednesday 15 May 2013

Overnight Oats



Oats are a great choice for breakfast as they provide you with slow release energy throughout the day, and are extremely versatile. The amount of different recipes I have come across that use oats is mind-bending. Oats are said to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease, plus the are very high in fibre which will keep you full for hours. Also they are extremely affordable, which is something that really makes the difference for me- seeing as I am on a budget!

Overnight oats are definitely my go to easy breakfast for most days, and one of my favourite ways to have oats. Preparation is done the night before eating, which takes all of about 3 minutes, so you can just grab them and go in the morning- no cooking required! (However, if I have got time, I do like to heat them up in the microwave) Leaving the oats to soak up the liquid overnight makes them super creamy and extra delicious.

You will need a jar, this can either be empty or an almost empty jar of something yummy like peanut butter or jam (the leftovers of the jar get soaked into the oats over night, so it all adds to it!) The size of the jar depends on the portion size you want but remember you don't always have to fill it. Next you will need some oats, I use rolled oats as that is all that's available in my supermarket, but steel cut oats are the best option if you can get your hands on them, as they have been subject to less processing. Then literally add whatever you like! This can be chopped fruit, compotes, nut butters, seeds, whole nuts, protein powders, egg, honey,  yoghurt, the list is literally endless... 

My favourite combination at the moment which I had this morning is pictured above, and the recipe is below...

Half a jar of oats
Almond milk (you can also use water/soy milk/cows milk)
2 tsp Organic no added sugar peanut butter
Half a banana - chopped
Drizzle of honey

1. Half fill your jar with oats
2. Pour in your almond milk, just enough to cover the oats, and stir with a spoon to combine
3. Add 2 tsp of peanut butter over the top so there is an even layer
4. Squish in the chopped banana
5. Drizzle your honey over the top
6. Replace the lid on the jar and leave in the fridge overnight
7. In the morning it is ready to eat cold, or pop the jar in the microwave for 2 minutes with the lid off
et Voila!

I plan to try lots of different combinations in the future, so I will post any successful recipes I discover. What's your favourite overnight oats combination?

Lucy x




No comments:

Post a Comment